Black Cat Editorial Services is pleased to be able to provide comprehensive editing solutions. The services will be tailored to you, and to your project, but this page should give you an idea of the support I can offer.
Line- and copy-editing
This is editing at the sentence level. It will generally include the following:
- Assessing the wording of the text to make sure it is clear, coherent and appropriate
- Providing suggested edits to improve readability, characterisation and style
- Advising on publishing-industry standards and conventions
- Correcting errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation and style
- Ensuring the consistency of spelling, hyphenation, capitalisation, punctuation and other elements of style (e.g. italics)
- Querying plot holes, changes in the timeline or inconsistent characterisation
- Reviewing the text for errors of fact, misspelled names, misused words and misquotations (please note: I will not routinely check all factual information).
The last check and tidy-up before publication, proofreading is focused on picking up small errors (usually typos) and consistency issues that remain after previous rounds of editing.
A critique will look at the novel as a whole. I’ll read the full manuscript and then provide a multi-page report on the big-picture elements: plot, structure, characterisation and style. If I think something works, I’ll tell you. If I think something could be improved, I’ll let you know. And, most importantly, I’ll provide suggestions and ideas on how you could do it.
I produce a style sheet for every project I proofread or copy-edit – I am an expert at identifying style discrepancies and smoothing them out. If you’d like me to review your documentation or book series and provide a comprehensive breakdown for your future reference, this is the service for you.